Salads are made with salad vegetables. meat, fish, seafood, game, poultry, eggs, pastas, fruits, nuts, dairy, products, etc…
Salads can be served cold, warm, warm & cold combination.
Salads are important items in catering, especially in the present era, as they blend well with modern concept of dining. Salads not only act as accompaniments to roasts and cold dishes, but also an alternative or an additional to vegetables at luncheons, dinners, suppers, tea, High tea & snack meals.
Salads can be served as,
- Starter/ Appetizer.
- Main dish or Course.
- Salads can be served as a separate dish in the table.
Type of salads
Salads are divided to two basic types, which are known,
- Simple salads (salad simple)
- Compound salads (salads composes)
These simple or plain salads are normally composed of green stuffs or salad vegetables alone or usually of one or at most, two ingredients. Many of the simple salads could be served raw, like cucumber or tomatoes. Others of this type has to cooked like beetroot or potatoes.
Dressings of simple salads are usually vinaigrette or one of its variations and acidulated cream or one of its variations. Occasionally mayonnaise is used as a dressing, as in the case of potato salad which could be dressed with vinaigrette, mayonnaise or both.
- Lettuce salad.
- Watercress salad.
- Endive salad.
- Tomato salad.
- Celery salad.
- Potato salad, etc….
Compound salads are made from a combination of ingredients (more than one ingredient), such as vegetables, fruits, fish, meats, poultry, game, etc… They could be bound with vinaigrette or one of it’s variations acidulated cream or one of it’s variations or mayonnaise or one of it’s variations.
- Apple salad.
- Nicoise salad.
- Woldorf salad.
- Russian salad.
- Japanese salad.
- Rice salad, etc….
Methods of presenting salads
- Salad bowls (wooden, ceramic, glass, fiber).
- Salad plate.
- In a crescent.
- Granite plate.
- Salad trolleys or Wagon.
- Salad bar, etc…
Points should consider when making salads
- Quality of the ingredients.
- Eye appeal.
- Contrast & harmony.
- Proper food combination.
- All food should be need to easily identified to the customer.
- Need to served in correct temperature (hot/cold).
Categories of salad dressings
- Vinaigrette & it’s variations.
- Mayonnaise & it’s variations.
- Acidulated cream & it’s variations.
- Natural yoghurt & it’s variations.
Type of dressings
- Vinaigrette:- (3 parts of olive oil + 1 part of vinegar + salt & pepper)
- Lemon dressing:- (as above using lemon juice instead of vinegar)
- English mustard dressing:- (vinaigrette + English mustard)
- French mustard dressing:- (vinaigrette + French mustard)
- Fine herb dressing:- (vinaigrette + finely chopped herbs like parsley, chervil, tarragon, etc…)
- Chiffonade dressing:- (vinaigrette + chopped hard boil eggs, parsley and fine brunoise of beetroot)
- Roquefort dressing:- (vinaigrette + Roquefort cheese)
- Acidulated cream:- (fresh cream + lemon juice + salt & pepper)
- Mayonnaise:- (egg yolk + olive oil or corn oil + vinegar + mustard + salt & pepper)
- Cocktail dressing:- (mayonnaise + tomato sauce or ketchup)
THANK YOU! FOR REFERRING THIS NOTE, I HOPE THIS WILL BE KNOWLEDGEABLE FOR YOU… COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME! SEE YOU ON NEXT NOTE…..
29/04/2020 foodieson.com by @cheflakey