A food allergy is ”a condition in which certain foods trigger an abnormal immune response It’s caused by your immune system wrongly recognizing some of the proteins in a food as harmful”.
Your body then launches a range of protective measures, including releasing chemicals like histamine, which causes inflammation.
Symptoms can occur anywhere from a few minutes after exposure to a few hours later.
- Swelling of the tongue, mouth or face.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Low blood pressure.
- Itchy rash.
The 8 most common food allergies in the world
- Cow’s milk.
- Puffer fish.
- Sesame seeds.
1. Cow’s Milk
An allergy to cow’s milk is most often seen in babies especially when they have been exposed to cow’s milk protein before they are six months old.
An egg allergy is the second most common cause of food allergy in children.
The most common symptom of a nut allergy is raised red bumps of skin (hives), and other allergic symptoms such as runny nose, cramps, nausea or vomiting.
- Brazil nuts.
- Macadamia nuts.
- Pine nuts.
A peanut allergy is a serious condition that can cause a severe allergic reaction. Treatment is lifelong avoidance of peanuts and peanut-containing products. As well as peanut allergy is one of the most common allergies in children and although the allergy will improve with time for some, for others it will become worse. People who are allergic to peanuts will not necessarily be allergic to tree nuts or seeds.
A shellfish allergy is caused by your body attacking proteins from the crustacean and molluscan families of fish, which are known as shellfish.
A wheat allergy is an allergic response to one of the proteins found in wheat.
7. Puffer Fish
The Puffer fish is considered the second most poisonous vertebrate on Earth. (First prize goes to the tiny golden poison frog of Colombia)
- The toxin responsible for puffer fish’s deadly character is called tetrodotoxin.
- It’s found in the puffer fish’s skin, its liver & reproductive organs.
- Tetrodotoxin is a neurotoxin.
- Almost all puffer fish contain tetrodotoxin, a substance that makes them foul tasting and often lethal to fish.
- To humans, tetrodotoxin is deadly, up to 1200 times more poisonous than cyanide. There is enough toxin in one puffer fish to kill 30 adult humans, and there is no known antidote.
- Chef must have special license to cut this fish and chef must be well trained.
Puffer fish Poisoning Symptoms
- Begin with numbness and tingling around the mouth.
- May progress to paralysis.
- Loss of consciousness.
- Respiratory failure, and can lead to death.
8. Sesame seed
Sesame allergies may not receive as much publicity as peanut allergies, but the reactions can be just as serious. Allergic reactions to sesame seeds or sesame oil can cause anaphylaxis.
An anaphylactic reaction occurs when your body’s immune system releases high levels of certain potent chemicals. These chemicals can induce anaphylactic shock. When you are in shock, your blood pressure drops and your airways constrict, making it difficult to breath.
Some less common food allergies include:
- Sesame seed.
- Passion fruit.
THANK YOU! FOR REFERRING THIS NOTE, I HOPE THIS WILL BE KNOWLEDGEABLE FOR YOU… COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME! SEE YOU ON NEXT NOTE…..
29/04/2020 foodieson.com by @cheflakey