Fish is as useful a source of animal protein as meat. The oily fish (sardines, mackerel, herring and salmon) contain fat soluble vitamins (A and D) in their flesh and omega 3 fatty acids. These are saturated fatty acids.
The flesh of white fish does not contain any fat. Vitamin A and D are only present in liver (cod liver or halibut liver oil).
The bones in sardines and tinned salmon provide the body with calcium and phosphorous.
Oily fish is not so digestible as white fish and is not suitable in cooking for invalids.
Quality points of buying fish
- Must have clear, bright eyes and not sunken.
- Gills must be bright red in color.
- No missing scales and scales should be firmly attached to the skin.
- Scales should be lie flat and be moist and plentiful.
- Skin should be covered with a fresh sea slime and moist.
- Skin must be shiny with bright natural coloring.
- Should have a stiff tail.
- Flesh should be firm and resilient.
- Smell should be pleasant, with no smell of ammonia or sourness.
- Fish should be purchase daily, if possible direct from the market or supplier.
- When receiving, the fish should be well iced and it will protect the freshness of the fish.
- The approximate loss from boning and waste is,
- 50% for flat fish.
- 60% for round fish.
Choosing and buying smoked fish, these qualities must need to check
- A glossy appearance.
- Firm flesh and not sticky.
- A pleasant, smoky smell.
Storage of fish
- Fresh fish should stored in a fish box containing ice, in a separate refrigerator or part of a refrigerator, only for fish at a temperature of 1-4°C.
- The temperature must be maintained just above freezing point.
- Frozen fish must be stored in a deep freezer or compartment at temperature of -18°C.
- Smoked fish should be kept in a refrigerator.
- Fresh fish must be cook within 2-3 days.
Thawing & handling of fish
Frozen raw fish
- Thaw fish in refrigerator , allowing 18 to 36 hours.
- Once thawed, the fish we cannot freeze it again, as soon as possible we need to use it.
- Small pieces can be cooked from frozen state, up to 8 ounces.
- Check for signs of damaged or dented cans.
- Store in a cool and dry place.
- Opened fish should be put in a wrapped container , labeled, and can be kept for 2 to 3 days.
Cooking methods of fish
- En sous vide
Preservation methods of fish
- Fish is either frozen at sea or as soon as possible after reaching the port.
- Should be thawed out before being cooked.
- Frozen fish should be checked for,
- No evidence of freeze burn.
- Undamaged packaging.
- Minimum fluid loss during thawing.
- It should be stored at temperature -18°C.
- Cod, herrings are packed in salt.
- Caviar the slightly salted roe of the sturgeon.
Herrings pickled in vinegar are filleted, rolled and skewered and known as roll mops.
Fish to be smoked may be gutted or left whole. It is soaked in a strong salt solution (brine) some cases a day are added to improve.
Sun dry and mechanically dry.
Oily fish are usually canned (ex:- sardines, salmon, anchovies and tuna canned in their own juice, in oil or tomato sauce).
THANK YOU! FOR REFERRING THIS NOTE, I HOPE THIS WILL BE KNOWLEDGEABLE FOR YOU… COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME! SEE YOU ON NEXT NOTE…..
07/05/2020 foodieson.com by @cheflakey