The term egg applies not only to those of the hen, but also to the edible eggs of other birds, such as Turkey, Ducks and Guinea foul. This is round or oval shape reproductive body laid by the female of many animals. Containing the developing embryo and its food reserves and protect by shell or skin. Although the eggs of many birds fish and even reptiles can be used as food. The average weight of hens egg is 60 grams.
Food value of eggs
Egg contain most nutrients and are low in calories. Two eggs containing 180 calories, egg protein is complete and easily digestible, therefore it is useful to balance meals also contains iron, sulphur, vitamin A, B, D & E.
Quality points for buying eggs
- The egg shell should be clean, well shaped, strong and slightly rough.
- When broken there ought to be a high proportion of thick white to thin white.
- The yolk should be firm, round and of a good even color.
- Air cell gap must be small.
Grading of eggs
Eggs are graded according to the weight
- Large – not less than = 62g
- Standard – not less than = 52g
- Medium – not less than = 46g
- Small – not less than = 40g
Cross section of a egg
Composition of eggs
- Shell – 12%
- Yolk – 30%
- White – 58%
Storage of eggs
- Eggs must be stored in a cool but not too dry place, a refrigerator if 0 – 5°C is ideal.
- No strongly smelling food such as cheese, onions and fish, should be stored near the eggs. Because the egg shell are porous and eggs will absorb the strong odours.
- Eggs are stored point end down.
- Eggs should not be washed before being stored as washing would remove the natural protective coating.
Uses of eggs in kitchen
- As a main course.
- As a horsd’oeuvre / starter.
- As a soup.
- As a thickening agent.
- As a binding agent.
- For salads and canapes
- For coating.
- For enriching soups and sauces.
- For lightning pastry products.
- For emulsifying sauces.
- For glazing pastry and bakery products.
- For garnishing.
Famous eggs dishes
- Fried eggs:- sunny side up, bulls eye, one side, over easy, etc…
- Boiled eggs:- hard boil, half boil, soft boil eggs.
- Scramble eggs.
- Poached eggs.
- Omelets:- cheese, ham, mushroom, etc…
- Egg benedict.
Preservation methods of eggs
- Cold storage (0 – 5°C)
- Frozen eggs (omelets)
- Dried eggs
- Pickling (quill eggs)
- Water glass / Liquid glass method (by using chemicals)
- Grease method (applying gum on a surface of the shell)
THANK YOU! FOR REFERRING THIS NOTE, I HOPE THIS WILL BE KNOWLEDGEABLE FOR YOU… COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME! SEE YOU ON NEXT NOTE…..
08/05/2020 foodieson.com by @cheflakey